License for created content?

Good evening everybody, i guess this will be a dump question.

When i´ve created a Picture with Daz3D and downloaded clothes etc. from 3rd designers do i need a license if i wanted to puplish it in a comic book?

thank you in advance and sorry for “late night english”

from my Basement with love, Art

Hi there! Welcome to the forum!

Before we begin:

I am not a lawyer. This is my opinion and is not legal advice. My background is IT not law. For a definitive answer seek the advice of a licensed attorney in your area.

To answer your question: In general, no. You own the copyrights for any images you create with DAZ and there are no restrictions on the types of images you can create.

Any restrictions would be specified in the product’s ReadMe file and/ or product license. For assets purchased from DAZ, Renderosity, Renderotica, CgBytes it would be extremely rare to find a restriction imposed on the types of renders you could create.

You’re more likely to find restrictions on assets purchased from Renderhub or via Gumroad since those stores specifically allow PAs to sell products that look like famous people or celebrities or are direct rips from games and other franchises.

Celebrities and famous people (at least in the US) enjoy a right to their likeness that most people don’t enjoy. Google using a celebrity’s likeness for your own purposes for more information.

Where I have seen restrictions imposed is when it comes to freebie content downloaded from the marketplaces or via ShareCG for example. Some freebies will come with a stipulation that “Commercial Use” or “Commercial Renders” are either OK or prohibited, and by commercial renders the artist typically means anything that makes you money. Which I get. If you’re tossing something out there for free why should someone make money off your work and you not see any of it?

Hope this answers your question, and welcome again!

DAZ’s EULA generally allows you to publish anything that you create, and even sell it. The one big caveat is that you can’t distribute the content itself, or publish something from which that content could be extracted. So you couldn’t, say, buy a widget and then include that widget’s entire geometry in a scene file that you distributed, or buy a product that included a texture map and then render that map out onto a flat plane and distribute the resulting image.

The common sense interpretation is that you get to use the products in your art, but you can’t do anything with them that would give away the vendor’s work to others.

That was the way it has been so far. However, DAZ are introducing a new kind of license called an Editorial License that is more restrictive. Supposedly, products covered by this license will be flagged on the store in some way (there was a brief panic recently when a product that shouldn’t have been under the Editorial License was marked as if it was). I haven’t yet found an example of such a product, so I don’t know how it will be marked.

1 Like

They’re probably going to introduce licensed models from TV, video games, and movies. Which frankly I’m amazed that Renderhub hasn’t been sued into oblivion yet for continuing to still offer literal game model and other asset rips directly out of video games.